posted December 06, 2012 05:08 PM
The latest round of NHL labor talks broke down Thursday when the league rejected the players' proposal of an eight-year collective bargaining agreement.
Players' association director Donald Fehr said the union received a voicemail message from the NHL, which stated that the proposal was unacceptable and that there was no need to continue negotiations Friday.
Fehr also said he doesn't believe the lockout will be resolved soon. The voicemail, left for union special counsel Steve Fehr, stated that "some things or everything" the league has offered is now off the table, according to Donald Fehr, who added this is not a positive development.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are expected to address the media later Thursday, the 82nd day of the lockout. Bettman was not part of the one-hour meeting earlier in the day.
The union's latest offer proposed an eight-year collective bargaining agreement, which included an opt-out clause for the players after the sixth year. The NHLPA also offered to limit the length of players' contracts to eight years.